Thursday, July 31, 2008

Off Topic - I am a liberal

So yeah, a man with a whole host of grudges decides to unleash it on a community of faith that decided to let the world know how open its heart actually was. I hope if anything comes out of this whole tragedy, it's that those of us whole believe in racial justice, rights for people of all genders and sexual orientations, and the ending of oppression can step forward and say we are liberals. It is the liberal tradition and liberal movements that created the weekend, access to birth control, and heck, even Gossip Girl (because we liberals value the inner lives of young people).

Somehow those very things made the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalists a target. This shooter is unemployed and loses his food stamps and BLAMES THE LIBERALS AND GAYS. This is a church that helps the needy, hosts a coffeehouse for queer youth, and put on a youth production of Annie. On top of that, they decided to put up a sign saying they were welcome to queer people. Where this hits home to be is that in my East Coast and West Coast bubbles of liberals, people like the members of TVUUC are people I eat with, play with, sing with, work with, and pray with. Having loving and open hearts shouldn't put a target on your back. For that matter performing a medial procedure (ABORTIONS!) shouldn't either.

My heart breaks that Greg McKendry, a foster father to a trans teen, was killed. My heart breaks that Annie won't be just a cheesy musical from the 80s but a symbol of what dangerous times we live in. So here I am sitting in Oakland, saying I'm a liberal. It's easy over here. But when I go back to Texas to visit my wonderful in-laws or drive across the country, I always know it's an act of courage to put your heart and your values on your sleeve.

For a powerful firsthand account of the day please read bekitty's post.

For a great analysis about language of hatred on the far right please go to ornicus.

If you can, please give to the UU Knoxville fund.

My guy's take is here.

No comments: