Monday, September 29, 2008

Lest you harbor any illusions about me

Ok. I have a rule about accepting an invitation to a wedding – I don’t go to a wedding unless there’s a tableful of people I know and like. I know, I know. The wedding is clearly not about me. BUT you know that most guests who aren’t in the wedding party or house party spend about five minutes with the wedding couple. If you are depending on being lucky and having a tableful of people you DON’T know pay attention to you, then you are the most optimistic person on earth.

In the 20 weddings I have attended in my lifetime, there have been only two where I didn’t know a soul and I ALSO had a great time. The first was at the Lacnaster’s wedding where the entire wedding party spent a week at one of the bridesmaid’s house and turned into a summer camp experience where we all went to the beach together and pledge eternal friendship by the end of the wedding. The second was at a college friend of J’s where I sat next to a college acquaintance of J’s who spent the whole ceremony cracking me up.

Even with those exceptions, most weddings are so much more fun when you have shared history with your tablemates and want to catch up with them. Without a tableful of buddies, the wedding has a high school reunion feel about it where you feel like you got something to prove to your tablemates. The worst case scenario is where you end up feeling isolated and resentful. But most of you aren’t me and can rise above petty feelings. I actually have a similar ban on high school reunions – I will never go to any of mine or accompany J on any of his.

No comments: