Friday, August 15, 2008

Off Topic - I heart Shawn Johnson

THANK GOD the women all turned in good to amazing performances. Unlike the men's all around where folks were falling down left and right, the women stayed upright and dazzled. I feel sorry for the poor Chinese who are being berating by their WHOLE COUNTRY for not getting another gold.

Considering Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin talked about going 1-2, I never thought it would happen. I always thought it would be the lovely Shawn Johnson on top. With her grace both on and off the floor, she is the Michelle Kwan of gymnastics. She comes into the Olympics with expectations out the wazzoo, gets second and is a total class act about it. And in fact, commits herself to 2012.

Here's the thing, she WON THE SILVER. She didn't get the medal because people splatted all around her and she won by default. Everyone turned in solid performances. She was great in all of her events. She ADDED a skill on her floor to get more points. Nastia was just a hair better.

There's seriously nothing for Shawn to be ashamed about. It makes me all the happier that she's NOT COACHED BY HER DAD.

1 comment:

Stef said...

I like Shawn J. a lot, too. I missed last night's events - egad! - but NBC is doing a special replay at 8 pm tonight. Will try to catch that.